Carriger positions the heroine's journey as an alternative to the hero's journey archetype. The hero's journey describes the protagonist's increasing isolation from his world and community, often culminating in heroic self-sacrifice and death. Connection and assistance are seen as detrimental to the hero. In the heroine's journey, the heroine (who may present as any gender) is empowered by their connection to a growing network of helpers and their story culminates in positive compromise.
- The heroine's journey narrates the establishment of community and connection
- The heroine's journey is precipitated by a break in her network
- Villains in the heroine's journey isolate the protagonist
- The hero's journey leads to isolation
- Beats in the heroine's journey
Carriger, Gail. The Heroine’s Journey: For Writers, Readers, and Fans of Pop Culture. 1st edition. GAIL CARRIGER LLC, 2020.